Strong & Safe Community
A community thrives when it’s safe to explore visions, safe for both young and old to walk the streets to markets, stores, and schools.
Police & Fire
Police & Fire
- Provide our fire and police departments with the necessary resources to better protect our homes and families
- Proactively mitigate future threats that are not yet seen/aware, such as cyber security, anti-drone capability to defeat crimes committed by drones
- Evaluate instant notification (to TPD/TFD) from residents that opt-in for more connectedness with neighborhood private surveillance systems such as Neighborhood App, ring doorbell, and other security apps
- Torrance Police Department joined Neighbors in Nov. 2019; Electronic Neighborhood Watch is alive in Torrance!
- Collaboration amongst local law enforcement, academia, and agencies to put security systems in place to mitigate the risk of incidences in schools, malls, parks, refinery
- Installing live surveillance/video intelligence to help the police and fire department to deploy "right-size" deployment of resources with apriori knowledge of the situation when calls are made to the dispatch center, freeing up resources to address other calls in the city; FLOCK is a system to evaluate
- Evaluate feasibility for industry-funded test case "smart city" concepts in a controlled location/sub-district for voluntary participation
- Educate residents about living with coyotes in accordance with the local and state regulations
- https://www.torranceca.gov/government/police/general-info/living-with-urban-coyotes (Coyote Management Plan)
- Ensure human safety is top priority, especially as urban coyotes have been less afraid of people (public safety issue)
- Voted for year-round coyote trapping; supports a South Bay regional approach
- The Torrance Refinery Company needs to be safe for both the employees at the facility and the residents in the community and CAL/OSHA's requirements must be reviewed regularly
- Cooperate with both AQMD, CAL/OSHA, and Torrance Refinery Leadership to jointly develop near-to-long term plans that balances the safest operation practical and maintain successful/profitable business operation that's a win-win solution with a keen focus on risk mitigation and safety for all refinery personnel and residents
- Recognize homelessness has been around for thousands of years and will not be turned around with any "quick fix"
- Incorporate efficient regulations and ordinances; voted for anti-camping ordinance with short-term shelter to help them get off the streets
- Prioritize and ensure public safety for the residents which makes Torrance a desirable city
- Where root cause feeding the inflow of homelessness, find solutions to stop the inflow
- Criminals....law enforcement to maintain public safety, criminals need to remain in jail for public safety; requires County to prosecute crimes
- Drug/substance abuse....law enforcement, refer to rehabilitation centers, aid and enable family support; collaborate with County to address these addictions
- Mental illness....connect to County mental health institutions, aid and enable family support network
- Joblessness....connect to South Bay Workforce Investment Board, job agencies, family help, etc.
- Leverage more faith-based community to help once safety of volunteers are ensured
- Coordinate with County agencies for available resources
First Rate Education
- Strengthen collaboration between the TUSD and the City Council
- Look for areas to improve operating efficiencies between TUSD and City
- Support processes to expect high standard for educators and students
- Prepare students for higher learning/education and their future as responsible citizens
- Provide an environment to develop leaders of tomorrow and give students insight and visibility to local government
- Attract families that desire the highest possible learning environment for their children
- Attract top notch educators and empower them with tools to teach
Business Friendly City
- Attract and keep strong and innovative businesses (e.g. Costco, Target, Del Amo Fashion Center, Honda, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.)
- Create and maintain challenging jobs for the community
- Instill strong fiscal responsibility and accountability as foundation of the city's operating processes
- Create high-paying professions/jobs such as aerospace companies, SpaceX, Epirus, Stellant, 3DEO, or other start-ups
- Initiate Technology/Innovation Challenges/Fairs/Competition with corporate sponsors to stimulate innovation with participants from South Bay high schools and El Camino, CSUs (Dominguez Hills, Long Beach, L.A.), UCLA, USC, Cal Tech.
Recreation and Athletics Friendly Community
Parks & Recreation
- Initiated contact with LA Galaxy that concluded with LA Galaxy signing a new 7-year lease for the former Toyota Sports Complex, to be named Galaxy Sports Complex.
- Participate in all aspects of sports possible within geographic boundaries/constraints
- 5/10Ks, triathlons, inter-city competitions
- “International Youth Summer Olympic Games” to develop athletes to their potential to compete at the international level
- Progress Since June 5, 2018 Election working with TUSD and City
- USA Water Polo (Men) started training at TUSD Aquatics Center May 2019; ended with COVID-19 postpone the 2020 Olympics; in work for 2022
- Progress Since June 5, 2018 Election working with TUSD and City
- Goal to have 28 Summer Olympic athletes from Torrance for 2028 Summer Olympic Games hosted in Los Angeles........ "28 for 2028"
- Closer relationship with TUSD with MOAs/MOUs for shared benefits and providing best use of all City facilities and parks
Accentuate Torrance as a "Micro Nation"
- Torrance is increasingly multi-ethnic/cultural based on 2020 census -- we must accentuate the strengths of our multi-culture community and collaborate on major city events
- Open opportunities for international businesses establish their U.S. Headquarter and factories here in Torrance as we are strategically located near LAX, ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, close to the beach, entertainment, shopping, hotels, and restaurants.
- Strategically pursue businesses and cultural events that match our diverse community and establish additional "Friendship/Sister City" relationships with cities abroad that will improve business opportunities and increased revenues
- Utilize our “Olympic-like” events to attract international exchange students to participate along with cultural exchange events
Strong and Robust Infrastructure
Streets, Lights, & Internet/Network Access-Friendly
- Effective street and city lighting
- Strong cyber-security of city information technology with sensitive information
- Consider a defensive public street monitoring/surveillance that provides real-time video data/intelligence to mitigate risks/crimes and effectively deploy right-size resources from the police or fire department; evaluate systems such as FLOCK
- Incorporate available technology such as integrating "Electronic Neighborhood Watch" utilizing "Neighbors Ring App" with Public Safety Community for a safer community
- Simple communication to and from city leadership via the web or via "Electronic Neighborhood Watch" app
- Evaluate the incorporation of "Smart City" for the 21st Century lifestyle
Vision for the Future
- Establish a model city that attracts families desiring an ideal community to raise a family
- Premier Safe and Secure Community; integrate more volunteers to complement the safety teams; incorporate available technology
- Tighter collaboration between TUSD for First Rate Education
- Business Friendly; utilize technology to streamline processes
- Strong and Robust Infrastructure
- Accountability and Fiscal Discipline; don't spend more than you take in
- Incubate a "Technology & Business Innovation" community through creative and innovative ideas that attract first class diverse and advanced technology businesses with high paying jobs
- Creation of a “International Youth Summer Olympic Games” to develop future world-class athletes; leverage the coming 2028 Summer Olympic Games hosted in Los Angeles
Care for the Growing Senior Population and those with Disability
- Leverage strengths of religious organizations to stand up inter-faith groups in the city that will cooperatively develop practical senior care and others with special needs
- Establish alternative and affordable local transportation such as mobile clinics to senior housing complexes, individual with disabilities.....explore the possibilities of an inner-city Uber/Lyft on a single "call button" app.